West African Chicken Stew Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked brown rice, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, cook chicken over medium heat in 2 teaspoons oil for 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink; remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the peas, tomatoes, sweet potato, broth, peanut butter, 1-1/4 teaspoons thyme and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender. Add chicken; heat through.
- Serve with rice if desired. Sprinkle with remaining thyme. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for West African Chicken Stew
Sort By :
"This was absolutely wonderful and highly recommend! All the flavors mellow together so well. Love the fresh ginger. Hubby loved it and had leftovers for a few days!"
"The reciepe said to simmer 15 - 20 minutes until potato is tender. I took at least 45 minutes for the potato to become tender. What was supposed to be a quick, easy meal took far, far too long to cook."
"This was fantastic. Even the young kiddos loved it. We had a friend from Cameron in Africa try it and she said it brought back wonderful memories of home. Great recipe!"
"This was easy to make and very tasty! I used dried beans (soaked overnight) added double the broth and simmered 40 min. My husband and teens liked it too!"