- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked brown rice, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, cook chicken over medium heat in 2 teaspoons oil for 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink; remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the peas, tomatoes, sweet potato, broth, peanut butter, 1-1/4 teaspoons thyme and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender. Add chicken; heat through.
- Serve with rice if desired. Sprinkle with remaining thyme. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for West African Chicken Stew
"I followed the recipe exactly, other than to double the chicken. I microwaved the sweet potatoes for 5 mins before adding to the stew so they would be cooked quickly. From start to finish, the dish only took 45 min. Everyone loved it! Not bland at all to us. Maybe those who find it bland didn't add the cayenne or ginger????"
"This was only average to us and I won't make again. I like all the ingredients but the combination just didn't work - the tomatoes predominated. The sweet potato, as others have mentioned, did take much longer than 20 minutes even with small chunks."
"Awesome, easy to make adjustments to make vegan"
"This was so good! It is a definite comfort food stew! I will be making this again for sure. Love the peanut butter and ginger flavors!"
"Definitely needs more time to cook to get the sweet potatoes tender and my husband wanted it to have more chicken. Tasty!"
"Great recipe! I had to make a couple of modifications: I added one more sweet potato and 4 cubes of Knorr for seasoning."
"Great and easy."
"This was absolutely delicious. The only thing that kept this from being 5 stars was the fact that I had to cook this for 1 hr 15 mins before the sweet potatoes were tender. Glad I wasn't in a hurry for dinner!"
"This is a delicious bold, flavorful stew. I like African dishes and this one is a keeper. It is easy to make and turns out great!"