Uncle Sam's Crispy Treat Cake Recipe
- 8 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 12 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2-1/2 cups shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 jars (7 ounces each) marshmallow creme
- Red and blue paste food coloring
- In a Dutch oven, combine marshmallows and cubed butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in cereal. Press 4 cups into a greased 9-in. round pan. Form remaining mixture into a 5-in. diameter x 6-1/2-in. tall cylinder; place on waxed paper to cool.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat softened butter until fluffy; beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in marshmallow creme until light and fluffy.
- Unmold cereal mixture from 9-in. pan and place on a cake plate. Place 3 cups frosting in a small bowl; beat in red food coloring until smooth. Frost top and sides of 9-in. cake with 1 cup red frosting.
- Place 1 cup white frosting in a small bowl; beat in blue food coloring until smooth. Frost bottom 2-1/4 in. of the cylinder with blue frosting. Place cylinder on cake. Frost the rest of the cylinder with red frosting.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert #48 basketweave tip. Using white frosting, pipe stripes on sides of hat. With a #7 round tip, pipe trim.
- Using a 1-1/2 in. star cookie cutter, press a row of stars onto hatband. Fill in stars with white frosting using the #7 tip. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews for Uncle Sam's Crispy Treat Cake(13)
Sort By :
This was nice using rice krispie treats, but next time I would make it all cake. I don't care for RK treats with frosting. Just use 9 inch and several 6 inch round cakes, maybe even different fillings in the cakes. It will end up looking the same but be a completely different dessert.
You can make a Thanksgiving Pilgrim's hat by using chocolate icing w/ black paste color added and a yellow icing buckle.
Thanks but a lot of work
The red and blue paste coloring were messy and unappetizing. I actually found the red food coloring bitter.
the cylander was tough to make and there didn't seem to be enough "sticky" to hold it together. I followed the recipe exactly.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Desserts >