“I love burgers and I love Southwestern food, so why not combine the two in a light and juicy burger? I like to whip these up on a Friday, pop them in the fridge and cook them later for casual weekend entertaining or an exciting family treat!” —Jan Warren of Clemmons, North Carolina
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Shredded lettuce and reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, optional
- Sliced tomato and red onion, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the corn, onion and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the lime juice, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder and oregano; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four burgers. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- For sauce, in a small bowl, mash avocado with the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt. Refrigerate until serving.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- Place on buns; top each with about 1/4 cup sauce. Serve with the lettuce, cheese, tomato and onion if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Burgers with Avocado Sauce in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008, p37
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Turkey Burgers with Avocado Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review