- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Jam of your choice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk until blended; add to crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 10 times. Divide dough in half; pat each portion into a 5-in. circle. Cut each circle into six wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with jam if desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Traditional Scones in Taste of Home April/May 2008, p29
Reviews for Traditional Scones(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review