Traditional Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 6 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide pastry in half. On a floured surface, roll out each portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Place pastry in plates; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges.
- For filling, beat eggs in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, cloves, nutmeg and ginger; beat just until combined. Gradually stir in milk. Pour into pastry shells.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool pies on wire racks for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
Reviews for Traditional Pumpkin Pie(11)
Sort By :
My spouse would never eat pumpkin pie until I made this one.
the pie was very good, BUT....Your recipe needs to be more clear on the crust size. YOU MUST BUY OR MAKE DEEP DISH CRUSTS....was very upset when I made this for Thanksgiving. no where does it read deep dish, So I got the reg. size, soooo much filling left over, had to make a special trip to the market for another crust, not happy...
I'm not a pumpkin pie lover, but this one is amazing. It's the only recipe I use now and it's actually my new favorite pie to have at Thanksgiving.
My husband says not spicy enough.
This is the FIRST homemade pumpkin pie I've ever made. First of all, I love it because it makes TWO. This was absolutely DELICIOUS and I will be making it again. I had a couple recipes to choose from and I chose this one. The only thing I did different was added honey to it because I saw it in another recipe and I love honey. OUTSTANDING!!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- Pie Baking >
- Pie Crust Recipes >
- Pie Recipes >
- Pumpkin Desserts >
- Pumpkin Pie >
- Pumpkin Pie Recipes >
- Pumpkin Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dessert Recipes >