- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian or Mexican diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons cilantro.
- Place one tortilla in a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the meat sauce, one tortilla, all of the ricotta mixture, another tortilla and the remaining meat sauce. Top with remaining tortilla; sprinkle with cheddar cheese and remaining cilantro.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Tortilla Pie
"This is a regular in our menu rotation- Instead of the onion and garlic, I use 1 package of Mild Taco seasoning."
"A HUGE hit for dinner tonight. We used diced tomatoes with jalapenos in them...very yummy :-)"
"Easy to put together and attractive, as well as tasty. I think it could use a bit more spice. My only complaint was that there was absolutely no way the pie would be hot all the way through baking, covered, at 400 for ONLY 15 minutes."
"It was a little bland. It just seems as if it were missing something. Not my favorite recipe can't complain about how quick it goes together though!"
"Loved this recipe. Only diced tomatoes I had were fire roasted which added a little more spice which was good. Also no fresh cilantro so I used dried cilantro."