- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 slices French bread, buttered on both sides
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Saute onions until translucent and slightly brown. Layer onions and two-thirds of the cheese in a 2-qt. baking dish, sprinkling pepper between layers.
- In a saucepan, heat soup, milk and soy sauce; stir to blend. Pour over onions and stir gently. Top with bread. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Push bread under sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Onion Casserole in Complete Guide to Country Cooking Cookbook 1998, p278
Reviews for Swiss and Onion Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review