- 2 large uncooked sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 egg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place potatoes in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. In a bowl, beat egg. Add cream, salt, nutmeg and pepper; mix well. Pour over potatoes. sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potatoes Au Gratin
Sort By :
As is usual with TOH recipes, gladly rating *5*. Delicious, comforting. Next time will make half the recipe, for us **empty nesters**. Thank you for sharing!!
Maybe this dish should be baked covered. I had in the oven for over an hour to get the sweet potatoes tender, and by then the cream part was dried up and clumpy. I also would have put the parmesan cheese throughout the dish instead of just on top.
I tasted a similar dish at a thanksgiving buffet. I was thrilled this tasted so much like it. I used 2 small-med sweet potatoes and 2 med white potatoes because I have lots of them to use up. The dish wasn't done in the time suggested but the sauce was curdled looking by the time it was done. Still it tasted great and I will make it again.
I love this recipe. It is such a nice change from the surgar & nut recipies. That little bit of nutmeg adds the perfect finishing touch.