Sweet Potato Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 to 5 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with sweet potatoes. Beat just until combined (batter will be stiff).
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange peel and enough juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Pound Cake(2)
Sort By :
I made this cake for a friend earlier this month and it was delicious everyone loved it. I made a butter cream icing using the orange peel and juice but only icing the top of the cake.
Very yummy pound cake. What a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes. I made it without the glaze. Even though it's light on taste, it was moist and still very good. Just like a pound cake should be. I will definitely make it again... even Grandma, traditional home baker, enjoyed it!