Sweet Onion 'n' Sausage Spaghetti
Sweet onion seasons turkey, adding rich flavor to Mary Relyea’s wholesome pasta dish. At home in Canastota, New York, she tosses it together with light cream, basil and tomatoes for a quick, springy meal in minutes.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook sausage in oil for 5
- minutes. Add onion; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until meat is no
- longer pink and onion is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and basil; heat through. Add cream; bring to a boil.
- Drain spaghetti; toss with sausage mixture. Garnish with cheese if
- desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups (calculated without Parmesan cheese) equals 305 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 442 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch,