Sweet onion seasons turkey, adding rich flavor to Mary Relyea’s wholesome pasta dish. At home in Canastota, New York, she tosses it together with light cream, basil and tomatoes for a quick, springy meal in minutes.
- 6 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook sausage in oil for 5 minutes. Add onion; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and basil; heat through. Add cream; bring to a boil. Drain spaghetti; toss with sausage mixture. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Onion 'n' Sausage Spaghetti in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p47
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sweet Onion 'n' Sausage Spaghetti
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review