Sweet 'N' Sour Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked brown rice
- Place chicken in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring the water, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce to a boil, stirring constantly. Add peppers; return to a boil. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into pepper mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-13 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sweet 'N' Sour Chicken
Sort By :
"I have made this recipe several times and it is always a hit. Like BuckeyeOH I decrease the vinegar to about 1/2 the 1/4 cup measure (1/8th) to cut the vinegar flavor slightly. I also add a 8 oz can chunk pineapple for the texture, color and flavor. I browned the chicken after cutting it into cubes then add the sauce to the pan to pick up the chicken bits and flavor then continue cooking on low til the chicken is done. Hope this helps, enjoy over rice."
"This was very flavorful. We have an issue with a lot of things tasting bland but this wasnt one of them. we followed the recipe exactly and I really enjoyed this dish. So easy to make too."
"The sauce was tasteless and not edible. I did not finish eating it. I would not recommend making this!"
"Was a little concerned w/the sauce as it was cooking, but we both loved it. My husband commented on how tender the chicken was. (Also, turned the brown rice into fried rice)."
"My family really enjoyed the dish.. I browned the chicken with garlic pepper and ginger before placing in baking dish. I also added 1/4 tsp of ginger to the sauce. delicious yummy..."