Sweet-and-Sour Popcorn Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen popcorn chicken
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry green pepper and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to the juice to measure 1-1/3 cups; stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Gradually add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pineapple and heat through.
- Meanwhile, microwave chicken according to package directions. Stir into pineapple mixture. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 429 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 1150mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 26, 2016
I have made this several times. I like to bake the popcorn chicken (not nuggets!) rather than microwave them. This keeps them crispier. Also I add the chicken at the very last minute. For leftovers the chicken does get softer again but that's just the nature of keeping them mixed in the sauce. If you want to keep chicken crispy keep it separated and re-toast or bake for a few minutes again to warm up. I also tend to use 1 green and 1 red pepper for color and a larger onion for extra flavor. Serve with rice or noodles for a very satisfying meal!
Sep 29, 2015
This recipe was very good. The chicken nuggets weren't really good. I had baked them first, then added to the sauce, but they were mushy. The next time I make this, I will probably just use chicken breast. I'm sure it will be even tastier! Thanks for the recipe!
Aug 6, 2015
I have been making this since it first appeared in the magazine a few years back. I do cook the chicken in the oven instead of the microwave as we like our chicken a tad crunchy. I also add mushrooms, as per daughter's request.
Jan 27, 2015
Delicious! I made this exactly as written and served it with the Fried Rice and Egg Drop Soup from the same reader.
Nov 30, 2014
I love this recipe, it tastes just like take out but I know what ingredients are going into the meal. I do prefer using cooked cubed chicken as opposed to the breaded popcorn chicken. I need to make this again! It's great!!
Feb 2, 2014
I made these for a group of friends last night who were just hanging out and they devoured them. I definitely prepped before I started cooking though and I put the chicken in the oven not the microwave to give them a crispier texture. Absolutely delicious!
Jan 16, 2014
I love this recipe. The sauce is wonderful!! The only thing about this recipe to be aware of is to prep everything before you start to cook. I'm a prep as I go cook and that was a little difficult with this recipe.
Nov 10, 2013
This is really excellent and a creative way to use popcorn chicken. Way tastier than take out. My husband and kids loved it! I will add this to anytime we want a Chinese food night.
Aug 6, 2013
This was so delicious! And so easy to make! Tasted like the real thing! :)
Jul 31, 2013
I love this recipe. I have made it for years and we absolutely love it. It's as good as take out!