Sweet-Sour Chicken Nuggets
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pancake syrup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 20 pieces breaded chicken nuggets, thawed
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil until crisp-tender; remove and keep warm. Add the broth, syrup, vinegar and soy sauce to the skillet; bring to a boil.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Combine cornstarch and juice until smooth; gradually add to broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add chicken nuggets; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the pineapple and sauteed vegetables; heat through. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 each: 473 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 1170mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Feb 11, 2018
I needed a big meal to feed 8 hungry missionaries so I tripled this recipe and it turned out amazing. It is so good just as is but I did use real maple syrup and the missionaries ate it until they popped.
Jan 17, 2014
Quick and easy. Great for a quick meal on busy night. The kids just love this, even my picky daughter.
Nov 12, 2013
After reading all the glowing reviews, I looked forward to making this with 2 of my grandchildren, ages 14 and 12. The recipe was easy enough for us to do together and used few ingredients. However, we felt the pancake syrup added a rather strong maple flavor to the sauce.
Aug 8, 2013
I'm reviewing this again three years after my first review! I have to eat gluten free these day so I hadn't made this in awhile. Aldi grocery store had gluten free nuggets today and I knew exactly what I wanted to make. Luckily I had all the pantry staples. Also know if you follow a gf diet soy sauce is a nono. You need to get San J tamari gf soy sauce. I also didn't sautee any veggies this time just added thawed stirfry veggies. It is still so yummy, I make this anytime I get gluten free nuggets- about a few times a year.
Nov 11, 2012
I never thought chicken nuggets could taste so good. Very easy and tasty.
Oct 12, 2010
My family really liked it. It was easy to cook, even the store bought chicken nuggets weren't that bad in it : ) I'll definately make this meal again!
May 1, 2010
Let me start by saying I don't usually like Asian food. I also don't usually buy chicken nuggets. I bought an Angel food package(check out Angel Food Ministries online) this month with the nuggets in it so I was on the hunt for a different way to cook them. This is way better than any takeout you could get.I also count it as one of the best tasting meals I've made. There was no obvious syrup flavor but I used real maple syrup. Yummy!
Jan 22, 2010
Quick, easy and tasty!