- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, garlic salt, onion salt, pepper and ground cumin
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Sour cream and salsa
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the tortilla strips, chilies, sausage and cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over cheese. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes. Arrange tomato slices over the top. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with sour cream and salsa. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Southwest Sausage Bake
Sort By :
"I make this every year for our staff Christmas breakfast. It's a hit and I'm always asked for the recipe. I make homemade guacamole to serve with it."
"I get requests for this casserole all the time. Huge office hit. The only thing I really substitute is corn tortillas for the flour tortillas. It gives it a more southwestern taste I think. Also I cook the green chilies with the sausage. Oh and I use sharp chedder cheese instead of the monterey jack. I've played with the recipe until I got it perfect and now this is how I make it. Like I said it's VERY requested at work. The always ask for "egg pie" lol. Glad I found it."
"I made it for an office event and everyone loved it. It was so easy to make. It was great to be able to make it the evening before and cook the next morning. A definite winner."
"This was pretty good. I like the concept -- tortillas, green chilies, etc. -- but something about it could have been better, plus the texture was a little slimy. My kids would barely eat it."
"Delicious and easy to make. I usually don't eat sausage but this was very tasty! Chilies give it a good kick. Reheats well too. A big hit for my husband as I usually don't have time to make breakfast during the week, and this works great. You won't regret for making it!"