- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- Food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and almond extract. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, almond extract and enough water to achieve desired consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired. Frost cookies. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Reviews for Soft Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"very easy to make ( my 5yr old daughter loves to help). tastes good but is a bit salty... not sure why as there is little salt added. maybe next time I'll use unsalted butter?!?! I would've given these a higher star rating but they are too light and fluffy for my liking. I prefer a denser cookie that is still soft and chewy."
"I love these cookies, in the end I found out that I was out of Almond Extract so I subbed it with Orange Extract and it tasted amazing. I also made a little silly and accidentally melted all of the butter instead or softening in the microwave but what you can do to fix it if you do the same thing I did you can whip the egg whites tell their fluffy and add it to the butter sugar mixture and carry on from there but you might want to grease the pan if that happens because they will stick. Also You still do add the yokes after the whites are mixed in."
"My entire family loves these cookies. They always want to know the secret to making soft sugar cookies!"
"My entire family loves these cookies. They always want to know the secret to making soft sugar cookies! They will go fast, make sure you have enough supplies on hand to whip another batch just in case!"
"My entire family loves these cookies. They always want to know the secret to making soft sugar cookies! They will go fast, make sure you have enough supplies on hand to whip another batch just in case! I have this recipe saved on my favorites button. You will too!"