Simple Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Simple Au Gratin Potatoes
Sort By :
dollargirl, how did it go making for 100 people? Very curios, I was thinking about trying it.
I tried this a couple of weeks ago and my family loved it. I'm going to make it again tomorrow for a crowd of 100 people! Wish me luck!
A go-to in my home. Lots of sauce, but I too add an addition potato and it is perfect!
Very good flavor but a bit heavy on the onion. In following the recipe exactly, I felt there was too much sauce, which can easily be remedied by adding another potato or two to soak up more of the sauce. Next time I may add a minced clove of garlic as someone else suggested to see how that tastes as well as cut back a bit on the onion. Otherwise a very good side dish that was fairly easy to make.
Very tasty dish. I added a 4.5 ounce can of mild green chiles to the recipe and it added just the right amount of zip for my families tastes. I also used a combination of red and Yukon gold potatoes, kept the peels on just scrubbed them well and sliced. With the addition of the peels and the chiles it amped up the flavors and the visual appeal as well.