- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Simple Au Gratin Potatoes
"Easy & delicious! Prepped night before. Used red potatoes (my favorite). I added bacon for added flavor & a bit more cheese on top. Used corn starch, instead of flour, for gluten-free!"
"Really quick and easy sauce to make but after an hour had to turn my oven up to 425? to get my potatoes to cook. My husband loved them and I will use this recipe again!"
"Easy to make and yummy!!"
"We enjoyed this recipe. I followed the recipe as written except I added another cup of cheese on top and let them brown. For us it needed a bit more seasoning and onions"
"Amazing !!! It's a hit every time. I use almond milk instead of 2 %."