Sicilian Meat Roll Recipe
MY SISTER-IN-LAW shared this recipe years ago and it became our family's favorite meat loaf. The addition of ham and mozzarella is a colorful surprise and adds terrific flavor. This is always a big hit with company, and the leftovers are good either hot or cold. -Mrs. W. G. Dougherty, Crawfordsville, Indiana
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
8 thin slices fully cooked HamHoliday Ham Celebrate the holidays with your favorite ham and ALDI savings.
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 thin slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, eggs, tomato juice, parsley, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well.
- On a pieces of heavy-duty foil, pat meat mixture into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Place the ham and shredded cheese on loaf to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, beginning with the short end and peeling foil away while rolling.
- Place on a greased baking pan with seam side down; seal ends. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reaches 160°. Top with sliced cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sicilian Meat Roll in Reminisce January/February 1998, p49
Reviews for Sicilian Meat Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 13, 2011
"Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Had this recipe in my collection for years..favorite with friends and family!"
Reviewed Dec. 31, 2010