Sicilian Meat Sauce
People have told me this is better than the gravy their Sicilian grandmothers used to make. But don’t tell the old generation that! —Emory Doty, Jasper, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds bone-in country-style pork ribs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed or diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- Hot cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork ribs in batches; transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add remaining oil to Dutch oven; saute onion for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more. Add next 11 ingredients. Pour in broth and red wine; bring to a light boil. Transfer to slow cooker. Cook, covered, until pork is tender, about 6 hours.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove meat from slow cooker; shred or pull apart, discarding bones. Return meat to sauce. Serve over pasta; if desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Originally published as Sicilian Tomato Sauce with Pasta & Pork Chops in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.