Broccoli Meat Roll
Most folks are surprised to see inside this meat loaf. But this versatile vegetable pairs nicely with the ham and cheese. - Diane Burling, Pingree, North Dakota.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 package (2-1/2 ounces) thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, ketchup, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and oregano. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Top with broccoli to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Top with ham. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 1 minute longer or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 269 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 793mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli Meat Roll in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips