- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine cheeses. Layer a third of the potatoes, a third of the onions and 3/4 cup cheese mixture in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Repeat layers twice. Pour sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSharp Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
"Best scalloped taters I've ever made."
"I made this recipe and could have just eaten it with a vegetable. It was so good. I didn't even need any meat to go along with it. Thumbs up!"
"Maybe microwave the potatoes a bit - or bake a bit longer."
"Love it, I wish the was a little different. Maybe make enough sauce to put on each layer. defiantly great with the two types of sharp cheddar. I decided not to peal my white potatoes and it came out great."
"Delicious!! Needed to bake probably an extra 5-10 minutes. Potatoes were JUST a bit firm. Great flavor and the smell coming from the oven is to die for!!"
"Very good recipe! And easy to follow! I think next time I will layer the sauce instead of having it all on top"
"This will be my go to recipe for potatoes. So very good! I greased the dish with butter. I didn't change the recipe at all. Delicious just as written."
"Good recipe for potatoes. Don't use any Pam in it or it would be oily. That's what dukeoflilac did to only get it a two star rating. Leave out the Pam and it's a better recipe."
"Delicious! I do want to know why dukeoflilac commentator asked about PAM. There was nothing in this recipe saying to spray anything with PAM that I saw. Maybe there was when she posted, but it's not here now and with all this cheese, no need to coat the pan with any oil. These are awesome Scalloped Potatoes! I did ad some shredded colby/jack and philly cheese because it melts so well and tastes great and some garlic powder, but otherwise followed the recipe."
"Our new favorite! As always, I changed the recipe a bit. I substituted black pepper for white pepper, milk for half-and-half, and 4 oz Philly for white cheddar, and used 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar. I also mixed the cheeses into the sauce with a whisk to make it easier. Creamy and delicious!"