- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine cheeses. Layer a third of the potatoes, a third of the onions and 3/4 cup cheese mixture in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Repeat layers twice. Pour sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Sharp Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
Sort By :
"I don't know what I did wrong, but the first problem was all the oil. Not sure from the cheese or the Pam. Is the sauce suppose to seep down to the bottom? I think I might try adding a layer of sauce on each layer of potatoes. Any suggestions?"
"Really delicious, this is a keeper for sure!"
"These are the best scalloped potatoes I have ever eaten. I did tweak the recipe a little by adding more cheeses. I also add 11/2 cups Monterey jack, & 11/2 cups hot pepper jack, & 11/2 cups mozzarella cheese, plus I use about 7- 10 lbs. potatoes & add more of everything else on the list. I have to fix these at every family function now as I get so many request for them now. For her Christmas Eve dinner today, I had to make my baby sister a big pan for her dinner. She called me later & said everyone loved them! Really like the addition of the extra cheeses, but they're good even without that! Thanks for the recipe. It is my go to recipe now!"
"What a fabulous recipe! Will definitely add to my recipe box! Served these with meatloaf. Super combination!"
"This is wonderful!! I cubed up the white cheddar, rather than shredding it. I will make these again....maybe for guests if the opportunity arises."