- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk, salt and mustard. Stir in bread cubes, cheese and sausage.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Sausage and Egg Casserole
"I have made this casserole for Christmas morning every year, for over 20 years. Yes, it is high in calories, and sodium, however, it is great as a holiday morning treat. One tip, you can use either unseasoned, or herb seasoned stuffing cubes in place of the bread. It is easier and so long as you keep in the fridge overnight,, the cubes soften in the egg mixture. My family prefers the herb seasoned cubes. Usually serve with pink grapefruit slices in homemade cranberry syrup on the side."
"no thanks... 633mg of sodium... in 1 serving piece of 248 calories - isn't what the doctor ordered!"
"I made this for Christmas Morning. Their is just the two of us, and I divided it into two smaller casseroles and shared with my Son and Daughter-In-Law. We all loved it and I will certainly make it again. Green peppers and onions would definitely add to the flavor. I used Jimmy Dean Sage sausage. It was awesome!!"
"Good but mine had a strong sausage taste could be because I used a Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage and the bread part was a little to mushy. Maybe use a thicker bread if I make it again."
"Wow! This was awesome! I made it Christmas morning, and it didn't soak for 8 hours overnight but it turned out just fine. To add a little more "zip," I put in some diced green pepper and some Pepper Jack cheese. I also used mozarella cheese instead of cheddar. I'll definitely be making this again. The whole family enjoyed it."