Saucy Garlic Chicken Recipe
- 4 whole garlic bulbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Hot cooked pasta
- Chopped tomato and minced fresh parsley, optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut tops off of garlic bulbs; brush bulbs with 1 tablespoon oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place spinach in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil on both sides; place over spinach.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 2 cups cheese, nutmeg and remaining salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a blender; squeeze softened garlic into blender. Cover and process until smooth. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170° and sauce is bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer. Serve with pasta. Sprinkle with tomato and parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Saucy Garlic Chicken
Sort By :
There are no words for ho much i love the garlic sauce in this recipe! It has definitely moved to the top of my favorite recipe list. It would make anything taste better. Close your eyes and imagine this over shrimp and grits. Mmm...hmmm... You're excused now to go start cooking.
Wow! I was a little nervous with the amount of garlic this recipe called for but it has turned out to be one of our favorite dishes. It makes for a beautiful presentation so it looks like you spent all day preparing. This is a must have recipe!
Takes a little bit of prep but it was worth it. I served it over gnocchi and it was a great dinner.
this was rich and wonderful. I was surprised at how pretty it looked on the plate.. M thought sauce should be thinner and it is for leftovers. i would like to add an edge to this dish with a chilli or ginger or...But i would like to make this again soon.
As Mary Poppins this recipe is "practically perfect in every way!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Pasta >
- Baking Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Garlic Chicken >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >