- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (about 6 pounds)
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 3 cups kosher salt (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place rib roast in a roasting pan, fat side up; spread all sides with mustard. In a bowl, mix salt and water to make a dry paste (mixture should be just moist enough to pack); press onto top and sides of roast.
- Roast 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 325°. Roast 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours longer or until a thermometer inserted in beef reaches 135° for medium-rare; 150° for medium. (Temperature of roast will continue to rise about 10° upon standing.) Let stand 20 minutes before serving.
- Remove and discard salt crust. Carve roast into slices. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Salt-Encrusted Rib Roast in Simple & Delicious December/January 2016
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Salt-Encrusted Rib Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review