Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups salsa verde, divided
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: avocado slices, thinly sliced green onions or fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine the chicken, sour cream and 3/4 cup salsa in a small bowl. Spread 1/4 cup salsa on the bottom of a greased 8-in.-square baking dish.
- Layer with half of the tortillas and chicken mixture; sprinkle with the tomatoes, minced cilantro and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with remaining salsa and, if desired, optional toppings. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole(3)
Sort By :
Have made this at least 4 times and loved it. It works for both my husband and my picky 6 year old. Fast and easy too. It's a nice change of pace.
This already looked like a great recipe, but I love spicy, so I added some heat to it. I poured nearly a jar and a half of 2 (12oz) jars of salsa verde into the bottom of the pan to make sure it was well coated. I substituted 2 (14.5oz) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes w/ green chilies (drained) in place of the tomatoes, added chili powder to taste to the sour cream/chx/salsa mixture and used 12oz of pepper jack in place of the monterey. I also omitted the cilantro (not a fan of it) and used 3-4 large flour tortillas in place of the corn tortillas since they're less tough and rubbery, and cut them into large pieces (makes it easier and less of a hassle to slice when it's all done) Gave some to my mom and took the leftovers to work and got rave reviews all around! I also look forward to making the original version for those members of my family that can't handle heat!
Great recipe. Even our 3 1/2 yr old loved it. Although we didn't use quite 2 cups of chicken ....it still turned out great!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Budget Chicken Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mexican Casserole Recipes >
- Mexican Casseroles >
- Mexican Chicken Casserole >
- Mexican Chicken Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >