- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream and fresh mint, optional
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with rhubarb and sugar. Slowly pour cream over top.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and mint if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Rhubarb Custard Cake
"We really enjoyed this cake. I made it as the recipe is written. It was golden brown and done at 45 minutes."
"Used the liquid drained off my frozen rhubarb for the water in the cake mix for extra flavor, yummy!"
"We love rhubarb and always make a pie with the first picking. Wanted to try something different. Searched "Taste of Home" for a recipe and this popped up. Delicious and oh so easy to make. This will be made again and again as long as the rhubarb holds out. Hmmm, wonder what it would be like with strawberries?"
"Mine was raw in the middle after the suggested cooking time. I will definitely bake it a lot longer next time. I did use half & half instead of whipping cream but that shouldn't have made that much difference in the cooking time. I agree with the one other reviewer on a cooking time of 1 hour 15 minutes."
"I have made this many times, always turns out great. However, I use 2c. sugar and a pint of whipping cream (2 cups instead of 1). If you want it slightly less fattening, you can use 3/4 pint of half and half, but it comes out more watery and less custardy but still yummy! And I bake 1hr 15mins."