When the rhubarb comes up, I'm the first one in our household to get at it. I treat my family to this cake every spring.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored breakfast drink mix, optional
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and orange drink if desired; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour milk. Fold in rhubarb.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; stir in coconut and nuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Crumb Cake in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p90
Reviews for Rhubarb Crumb Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 18, 2014
"This cake was very moist and yummy. I did not add the orange drink mix and it was still great!"
Reviewed Apr. 30, 2013
"This is a nice, moist flavorful cake. The family loves it. This is a keeper!"