When the rhubarb comes up, I'm the first one in our household to get at it. I treat my family to this cake every spring.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored breakfast drink mix, optional
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and orange drink if desired; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour milk. Fold in rhubarb.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; stir in coconut and nuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Crumb Cake in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p90
Reviews for Rhubarb Crumb Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 18, 2014
"This cake was very moist and yummy. I did not add the orange drink mix and it was still great!"
Reviewed Apr. 30, 2013
"This is a nice, moist flavorful cake. The family loves it. This is a keeper!"