I rely on a cake mix to speed the prep for this moist streusel-topped dessert that pairs tart rhubarb with sweet strawberries. It's great all by itself, but feel free to add some frosting or ice cream. —Jackie Heyer, Cushing, Iowa
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size), divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Cream cheese frosting or vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup cake mix and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Add walnuts; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the sour cream, eggs, flour and remaining cake mix; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in rhubarb and strawberries. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, drizzle with frosting or serve with ice cream. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Berry Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p35
Reviews for Rhubarb Berry Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review