- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- VANILLA ICING:
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Whisk 3/4 cup milk and egg yolk; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- Divide dough in two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Roll out larger portion of dough between two large sheets of lightly floured waxed paper into an 18x13-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Press onto the bottom and up sides of pan; trim pastry to edges of pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add raspberries and rhubarb; toss to coat. Spoon into pastry.
- Roll out remaining dough; place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over edge of top pastry; seal with a fork. Prick top with a fork.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For icing, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over pie. Cut pie into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Raspberry-Rhubarb Slab Pie
Sort By :
"The taste was wonderful, but it was difficult to seal the edges together and the juices ran out of the crust. Next time I will just make a pie."
"This is very simpler to the one that I use at Christmas. I use mincemeat and never ever come home with any left after a potluck!"
"I've made this several times subbing strawberries for raspberries and every time it's been a huge hit!"
"I'd never made a slab pie before and this one turned out great. The combination of raspberries and rhubarb was delicious, and baking it in a jelly roll pan made slicing and serving simple. I am going to bake my next apple pie in this manner! Great dessert! Thank you, Jeanne Ambrose, for sharing your grandfather's tasty recipe!"