For a casual but hearty meal, try these saucy subs created by our Test Kitchen. Full of traditional Italian flavor, these sandwiches are a snap to make.
- 2 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 brat buns, split and toasted
- 2 tablespoons shredded Italian cheese blend
- Place sausages and water in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove sausages and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute pepper and onion in oil until tender. Return sausages to pan. Stir in spaghetti sauce and basil; heat through. Serve sausages on buns with sauce and cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Sandwiches in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p61
Reviews for Quick Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review