- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional shredded Gouda cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, pumpkin, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in cream; heat through. Add cheese; stir until melted. Sprinkle each serving with parsley, bacon and additional cheese if desired. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Pumpkin Bisque with Smoked Gouda
Sort By :
"I thought this was really good, but I did omit the bacon and substituted olive oil for the bacon grease. The subtle smokiness of smoked Gouda really complemented the pumpkin flavor."
"This has been past of our Thanksgiving tradition for 3 years now. The family loves it!"
"I too added a little something as there was not quite enough flavor. 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice. It was great."
"I wish I'd had the smoked gouda. That's the only reason I gave this 4 stars. I had gorgonzola and liquid smoke. It's just not the same but still rich and creamy!"
"Delicious! I was looking for a "snooty soup" to bring to a party. It was a huge hit. Several asked for the recipe. I followed it pretty closely."