- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place the potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add squash; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Drain. Place potatoes and squash in a bowl; mash.
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter. Add to potato mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish (dish will be full). Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Potato Squash Casserole in Reminisce Extra February 2006, p 52
Reviews for Potato and Squash Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2014
"This is a very nice way to make a change on squash, will make again sprinkling green onion on top."
Reviewed Oct. 25, 2009
"This is a great side dish. It is a different take on regular potatoes and a good way to use summer squash from the garden."