Pineapple Sponge Pie Recipe
Here’s a home-style delight featuring a fluffy sponge layer on top and a smooth custard on the bottom. The pairing of tangy pineapple and lemon is so refreshing after a big dinner.
- 3 eggs, separated
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained and chopped
- Fresh pineapple wedges and maraschino cherries, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; flute edges. Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in the milk, lemon juice and peel. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in pineapple.
- Beat egg whites and remaining salt until stiff peaks form; fold into filling. Spoon into pie pastry.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes; lower temperature to 325° and bake 25-30 minutes longer or until top is puffed and lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with pineapple and cherries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pineapple Sponge Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p140
Reviews for Pineapple Sponge Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review