- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Fold in rhubarb and almonds.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Orange-Rhubarb Breakfast Bread
"I am looking for a terrific rhubarb bread recipe, and this is not it. It definitely needs more rhubarb for the amount of flour. Finally found a great rhubarb muffin recipe (TOH) but still looking for that "Wow" bread recipe. Took this bread to work, and not one person asked for the recipe."
"I will try this again. What a mess! Perhaps it is my elevation.. I'm at 6000 ft, but the center fell to the bottom! The taste is great, but I will try 1/4 C more flour next time."
"Update ~ Use 2 cups of rhubarb. Also great with all whole wheat flour, but only cook for 50 minutes.~ Theresa"
"I love rhubarb, so am always on the lookout for new recipes that use this unique ingredient. This recipe did not disappoint! I substituted 1/2 cup of broken pecan pieces for the almonds just because I had them on hand and shortened the baking time to about 55 minutes. This bread was absolutely delectable with a moist interior and a sweet, crunchy crust. I make quick breads all the time and this recipe is a real keeper."
"A little on the dry side, so next time I will alter the amount of flour and due to personal taste I will increase orange peel/juice and ginger. My 3 & 5 year old sons both ate 2 :)"
"Loved the bread. I always tweek a recipe after making it as is one time. Yes, add more rhubarb. I also cut back the sugar 1/4 to 1/2 cup and made it healthier by adding 3/4 cup whole wheat flour."
"Yum! I may add a bit more rhubarb next time. I used walnuts instead of almonds because that's what I had at home. Tasted great.~ Theresa"
"Very good, will be making this one again!"