Orange Rhubarb Bread Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, orange peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Transfer to two 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (6 slices each).
Reviews for Orange Rhubarb Bread(17)
Sort By :
Have made this over and over1 It is yummy and my 3 little nephews love it! I have made this as mini loafs and many times as muffins, sprinkling sugar over the top before baking. And always use the all the zest of one orange. Try it!
Excellent. As someone suggested, I increased the orange peel. Am also making double batches now because it's so good.
This recipe is absolutely delicious. Next time I make it I am going to double or triple the recipe because I have only a bread loaf size pan. I increased the grated orange to one teaspoon. Best when eaten fresh. Didn't like it after one week as it lost flavor.
This has a great taste. However I do not like the flat apprearance of the loaf. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get a better rounded top to the loaf.
I made it as one slightly larger loaf instead of the two tiny ones.
Awesome bread...I love it. My husband is always dieting so I substituted orange fat-free yogurt for the butter and it turned out great!