- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, orange peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Transfer to two 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (6 slices each).
Reviews for Orange Rhubarb Bread
Sort By :
"good but not sure I would make again."
"This is a great way to use up so much rhubarb. Everyone that has tried this bread really loves it. I cut extra rhubarb up and freeze in 1 1/2 cup bags to make this in the winter months. I also tripled the recipe to make two full large loaves. Need to adjust cooking and cooling times however."
"Have made this over and over1 It is yummy and my 3 little nephews love it! I have made this as mini loafs and many times as muffins, sprinkling sugar over the top before baking. And always use the all the zest of one orange. Try it!"
"Excellent. As someone suggested, I increased the orange peel. Am also making double batches now because it's so good."
"This recipe is absolutely delicious. Next time I make it I am going to double or triple the recipe because I have only a bread loaf size pan. I increased the grated orange to one teaspoon. Best when eaten fresh. Didn't like it after one week as it lost flavor."