- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Seasoned salad croutons
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with croutons and, if desired, Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Onion Cheese Soup
Sort By :
"Very good. Easy to make, and you will always have the ingredients in hand!"
"Quick AND delicious, I couldn't ask for more! I used fresh grated Colby-Jack, threw in two medium potatoes that I had precooked and chopped, and replaced 2 cups of milk with 2 cups of chicken broth. I will DEFINITELY make this again, hands down!"
"this is your basic cheese soup. very good. i cook the onions down to just caramelized and add 3 cups of chicken broth or stock and 1 cup milk. also sharp cheddar gives it more punch. and a couple dashes tabasco. very tasty"
"Made this soup this week. It came together quickly and was very tasty. Made as per recipe. No changes. Will make again."
"REALLY good. REALLY easy. And tastes even better after I froze the leftovers for a few weeks. This is really really good!"