Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon or 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Add broccoli. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup liquid.
- In another large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Whisk in flour until blended. Add the milk and cheese. Cook over medium-low heat until thickened and cheese is melted, stirring frequently. Stir in broccoli and reserved cooking liquid.
Nov 23, 2013
Just finished it WOW very good soup. A++++only used 3/4 pound of cheese and added 1/4 more cup of milk, garlic, and 1/2 cup of cooked bacon drained and chopped up.
Oct 30, 2013
Very easy and good. I made a few adjustments. I added an additional cup of milk, used less velvetta and added some cheddar. I also added just a touch of salt, pepper, and ground sage.
Oct 24, 2013
I loved This soup I added some ham and it was thick which I was hoping for ! I will be making this again! I loved the cheesy taste!
Feb 8, 2013
My picky family loved this. The onion flavor seems to mellow out if the soup is kept warming on the stove. Might benefit from a little garlic, a little more broth to make it thinner, and maybe a few stray veggies.
Nov 4, 2012
I enjoyed this but also agree that less cheese is better. Try to use the chopped broccoli - I only had spears on hand and it made for some rather large spoonfuls!
Feb 18, 2012
It was pretty good for the first few bites, but after that it was way too rich and cheesy. Next time I make cheesy broccoli soup, I'll only put in 3/4 of a pound of cheese and more broccoli.
Nov 27, 2010
seemed like it was missing something, maybe not enough of a cheddar taste, I think it needed some cheddar cheese added with the velveeta