"These biscuits are seriously addictive! I make a batch and freeze them - my husband microwaves one for breakfast every morning." Elaine Sweet, Dallas, TX
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- In a small skillet, saute sweet onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add vinegar; cook and stir until liquid is evaporated. Cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and seasonings. Cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the onion mixture, cheese and green onions. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 6-8 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6 biscuits.
Originally published as Onion & Cheddar Biscuits in Taste of Home February/March 2010, p40
Reviews for Onion & Cheddar Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review