Onion & Cheddar Biscuits Recipe
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- In a small skillet, saute sweet onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add vinegar; cook and stir until liquid is evaporated. Cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and seasonings. Cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the onion mixture, cheese and green onions. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 6-8 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6 biscuits.
Reviews for Onion & Cheddar Biscuits(1)
Sort By :
These are quite tasty, and they leave the whole house smelling great. I couldn't find white balsalmic vinegar, so I used golden balsalmic vinegar. It was still light in color, so it worked just fine. My only complaint is that for a recipe that makes just 6 biscuits, it takes a very long time to prepare! This page says 25 mins prep time, but cooking the onions until the vinegar evaporates, and then subsequently letting them cool, took me that long alone. Be sure to plan your timing carefully before starting this recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Biscuit Recipes >
- Bread Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Quick Bread Recipes >
- Scone Recipes >