- 3-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni in boiling water until almost tender; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard, pepper and pepper sauce until smooth. Cook for 1 minute or until bubbly. Stir in the macaroni, milk and 4 cups cheese.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
"Great tasting mac & cheese! Nice, simple recipe, which is all you need!"
"Ok, but very pedestrian recipe for Mac and Cheese. Try Fontina for half the cheddar. Half and half for the milk. White pepper instead of hot sauce. The ground mustard is a good inclusion."
"I have used sharp cheddar, and cubed velveeta, it was so creamy, and cheesy!!!"
"Really good Mac and cheese. I didn't have hot sauce so I left it out. I even used mild cheddar but I think sharp cheddar would be great too. I added buttered bread crumbs for the topping by mixing firm white bread with melted butter while it baked uncovered. Absolutely delish!"
"This was delicious! I took this to a church event and it was gobbled all up. Thanks for the recipe and I will definitely be making this again!!"