Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni in boiling water until almost tender; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard, pepper and pepper sauce until smooth. Cook for 1 minute or until bubbly. Stir in the macaroni, milk and 4 cups cheese.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese(11)
Sort By :
I have used sharp cheddar, and cubed velveeta, it was so creamy, and cheesy!!!
Really good Mac and cheese. I didn't have hot sauce so I left it out. I even used mild cheddar but I think sharp cheddar would be great too. I added buttered bread crumbs for the topping by mixing firm white bread with melted butter while it baked uncovered. Absolutely delish!
This was delicious! I took this to a church event and it was gobbled all up. Thanks for the recipe and I will definitely be making this again!!
This is my husband and 5 kiddos favorite Mac and cheese. My hubby is not a noodle person but it won him over. He loves it with steaks cooked in the oven with blue cheese, crushed croutons and chives. You won't be disappointed!
I take this dish to many potlucks. Everybody loves it! I usually get a request for the recipe. Excellent!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >