- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter and maple syrup, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients until smooth.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with butter and syrup if desired. Yield: 8 waffles.
Reviews for Nutmeg Waffles
"These were amazing! The aroma, while cooking, definitely made me think of fall and the good foods we all enjoy at this time of year. This will definitely be a keeper at my house. I really appreciate that these can be frozen and reheated in the toaster on a busy morning. Thank you, James, for sharing this wonderful recipe with TOH readers."
"I added extra eggs to the recipe, because one seemed to be too little. Perhaps that threw off the quantities, but something seemed wrong--the waffles were quite tough."
"These were yummy, but my family said that it wasn't a keeper."
"these are a favorite in our house I make several batches at one time and freeze the rest for a quick breadfast in the mornings"
"to redo it I would separate the egg and add one more egg white, then beat the egg white and fold in after the rest of the ingredients. It was just too heavy"
"Great low fat waffle, easy to make and tasty to eat. All of our kids enjoyed them too! I substituted the oil with applesauce to save on a little more fat!"
"These were not good. Dry, no flavor. Needed sugar or something. Not sure. Will not make again."
"family loved them :) I did add 3TBLS of brown sugar to the batter before making."
"I added about 1/4 cup of brown sugar to the recipe which helped give it some more flavor. I also substituted unsweetened applesauce for the oil."
"These were alright, seemed to be missing something...maybe need some additional spice...not sure. My family spread a little peanut butter over the top, drizzled a little maple syrup, and then I sprinkled some additional cinnamon on top and they were better that way. Would maybe make again...but would have to put my finger on what is missing from the recipe."