- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1-3/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 5 medium)
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- In a small nonstick skillet, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until blended.
- Place half of the potatoes in a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; layer with half of the onion and cheese sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Never-Fail Scalloped Potatoes
"I'm giving 5 only on the scallops are fantastic if you double Sauce and it needs extra cooking time also !"
"I used cream cheese and sour cream and it wont taste so floury if you make Roux butter and flour and I make it in a small ball and fridge it...small pebbles of this with thicken anything ...."
"This was very good. I added a little worhesthshire sauce and a little sambol. Served up very nicely. Janet. VFE"
"I found this needs the sauce doubled and a longer cooking time,but get that right and these always get rave reviews! It's my go-to scalloped tater recipe."
"Easy to make and very good. My family loved them. Warm, comfort food."
"A real winner! This was a very easy recipe to follow and prepare. Only adjustment I would recommend is to "make more". The leftovers were just as good as the first day."
"This is simple and delicious and oh so creamy. I threw in some Velveeta cheese cubes instead of the cheddar cheese. Yummy!"
"Oh my goodness, this recipe is delish ! Doubled the sauce and then added 1/2 cup more milk. For cheese try some grated pepper jack along with cheddar, it's not too spicy hot. I always par-boil my potato slices first and saute' the onions, well worth the extra touches. This goes well with a meatloaf or ham, even pork chops or roast, just add a green vege or salad. Double the recipe for left-overs they are even good with scrambled eggs for breaky."
"I made these for my husband's birthday dinner. They were delicious and very easy to put together. I will definitely make them again!"
"Great for large gatherings Bland yes but added a package of hidden valley ranch mix and perked up the flavor !"