Fast Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Paprika, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese, salt, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Place potatoes in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Top with cheese sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Mar 31, 2020
So creamy and delicious! I won't bother using any other recipe for scalloped potatoes. I used three potatoes since mine might have been smaller than "medium" and sliced them by hand about 1/8". Was about three layers in an 8 x 8 glass pan. I added about 1/3c. milk to the sauce before pouring on the potatoes to make it a bit thinner and it was perfect. Oh, I almost forgot - I sprinkled a tiny bit of nutmeg in the sauce as well. You should make this recipe.
Mar 8, 2015
The whole family loved them.
Sep 15, 2011
I doubled the recipe when I made these potatoes and my husband and son loved them! Looking forward to making them again.
Aug 5, 2011
It does need longer to cook even in a convection oven. Also, I substituted 1/8 tsp of smoked paprika and put it right into the cheese sauce instead of on top.
May 17, 2011
These are really good. They need closer to an hour to cook though.
Apr 13, 2011
My family and friends loved this recipe.As to the mushroom soup. I say Yuck.It's perfect the way it is.
Jan 2, 2011
I have made these many times and love them. it is the perfect amount for my husband and I, as the kids don't care for this type of potatoes. I have doubled the recipe for company and leftovers. I used red potatoes tonight and the cooking time was perfect.
Nov 9, 2010
Excellent flavor! I've made this several times. It needs to cook for about 1 hr 20 min. though. I added diced ham to mine and sprinkled extra cheese on top last night and it made an excellent main-dish casserole.
Oct 16, 2010
My Husband's fav side is scalloped and he was impressed with these! Although I too half to agree it did take over an hour ...
Oct 7, 2010
Very good potatoes. I agree with the other comments and had to cook this for well over an hour.