- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the sausage, mushrooms and cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; pour over the cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Freeze option: After assembling, cover and freeze strata. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake strata as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted near the center to come out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Mushroom Sausage Strata
Sort By :
"This was excellent!!! I made half, put in a 9 x 9. Used 4 eggs. Had 8 oz fresh mushrooms and 3 chopped green onion sauteed with the sausage. Baked for 30 minutes and forgot the worcestershire. . . and set it on the stove for 10 minutes before baking (while the ovenpreheated)."
"Made this over the holiday and it was delicious. I used fresh mushrooms instead of canned and that worked just fine. A keeper!"
"This is a keeper recipe. This breakfast or brunch casserole was delicious and very easy to put together. I also agree that you could use hashbrowns in this recipe instead of bread. I will make this recipe for my family again and definitely recommend it to friends."
"I love sausage stratas and hash browns are NOT as good as bread in them. Don't fall for that!"
"I did leave out the worcestershire, and used ham and sausage, best strata I have ever had! Made it for my friends and they all had to have the recipie, what a hit! Also had to use evaported milk because I did not have 1/2 &1/2."