This flavorful casserole is a hearty mainstay for our family's Christmas Day brunch menu. Being able to assemble the recipe ahead of time is a real plus! -Julie Sterchi, Jackson, Missouri
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the sausage, mushrooms and cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; pour over the cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Freeze option: After assembling, cover and freeze strata. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake strata as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted near the center to come out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Sausage Strata in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p33
Reviews for Mushroom Sausage Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review