Cumin and garlic powder season long grain rice in this simple side dish from Sonya Dueck of Cartwright, Manitoba. The mild mixture would be a nice complement to a spicy Mexican entree.
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups water
- In a bowl, combine the bouillon, salt, garlic powder and cumin. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: about 5 tablespoons.
- To prepare rice: In a saucepan, saute rice, onion and green pepper in butter until rice is lightly browned. Stir in water and 5 teaspoons seasoning mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Rice Mix in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p55
Reviews for Mexican Rice Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review