- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine or chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, basil, salt and pepper. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine and lemon juice, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by a third.
- Return chicken to the pan. Sprinkle with cheese. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Lemon-Basil Chicken Marsala
"Loved this recipe. I added more lemon juice to it and used Marsala wine."
"Nice and tender, but I agree with previous comments, I will double the sauce next time and make it half marsala and half broth."
"This is a delicious recipe! I made this for my boyfriend last night and he was still talking it this morning, lol! He may ask me to marry him now : ) // Seriously though, super yummy, tasty, tender. I served mine over angel hair pasta. Thanks for the recipe!"
"Wow! Promptly added this one to my recipe box! You guys are right: double the sauce. I used half wine and half chicken broth for the wine."
"This is my go to chicken marsala recipe. It's perfect for my husband and I and if company comes over I simply double/triple the recipe. The lemon adds a bit of freshness to this recipe which we love. In the winter time I keep a jar of freeze dried basil on hand and it works well for this recipe. I use low sodium chicken stock in lieu of the wine. It is absolutely delicious."
"Just made it and it was a hit! Doubled the sauce but husband wanted even more."
"I've made this several times ... what a delicious recipe! My family loves it. I love the fact that it's quick to prepare. Served it with garlic mashed potatoes. I added a little bit more chicken broth and marsala wine so we would have extra sauce for the potatoes. Excellent dish!"
"This was SO good! I had 4 thinly sliced chicken breast peices so I just doubled the entire recipe. I also used chicken broth instead of marsala wine. My boyfriend loved it and said that it tasted like something he would eat at a restaurant. He's not very into chicken and really enjoyed this! I let the sauce reduce a little too much due to multitasking in the kitchen, but still it was good! Next time i'm going to serve it with garlic mashed potatoes & fresh green beans. :))"