Italian Spaghetti Bake Recipe
- 2 packages (one 16 ounces, one 8 ounces) spaghetti
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives and seasonings. Drain spaghetti.
- Spoon 1 cup meat mixture into each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Layer with spaghetti and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Spaghetti Bake
Sort By :
"I took this to a church pot luck and the platter came back empty! I'm making this for the second time later this week. My three young boys love it."
"I omit the green peppers and use fresh mushrooms but otherwise follow the recipe. It is a hit whenever i serve it and has a wonderful flavor."
"This recipe is okay. I just personally prefer more sauce with my spaghetti.~ Theresa"
"Like the idea of a dish I can put away in the freezer for another time or as a gift for a new mom. I needed to cook the entire recipe for my family (very large family). A little dry so might add to the sauce the next time. I Look for suggestions from others so appreciate the comments made on variations. Relax mailladyrr!"
"Loved it!!! To Mailladyrr: And how did you like it? Phew!!"