- 1 package (16 ounces) bow tie pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook and crumble sausage with onion and pepper flakes over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, cream, salt and basil; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in pasta; heat through. Serve with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Italian Sausage with Bow Ties
"Made this with mild Italian sausage and a 28 oz can of basil infused crushed tomatoes since my husband can't stand chunks of tomato. This was really good and also got rave reviews from my 4 year old son."
"A Big THANK YOU for submitting this recipe. I have been making this dish for years, since it was first published. My family requests it often. I have made it exactly as shown with great results and also have substituted 1/2 and 1/2 for the cream and added 1 to 2 tablespoons of corn starch to thicken it up a bit. When I didn't have the cream. I also add the juice from the tomatoes for a little more sauce. Served with a salad and garlic bread.....YUM!"
"Loved this recipe, and the last time I made it I used chicken instead of Italian sausage. I also used a jar of sun-dried tomates instead of canned tomatoes. Will make this again and again!"
"We loved this. The only thing we did different, was we did not add the red pepper flakes, because half of us in the house do not like spicier things. This is a recipe we'll be having again (and again!)."
"Great flavor to the sauce. Don't need to change a thing, but would probably have great variations too."
"This is the best pasta dish!!! I made it with grounded sweet Italian sausage was delicious. Used crushed tomatoes instead and Italian seasoning... had it with white Portuguese wine, yummy!!! My husband loved it!!! I found this on pinterest and love it!"
"OMG! !! I had sweet Italian sausage in my fridge for the longest. I knew I had to use it soon. Saw this recipe on Pinterest and it looked good and fairly simple to make. I needed the stewed tomatoes. This ingredient is needed because with the sausage its the main components. I put the heavy cream , used Italian seasoning for taste. And, it was the best thing I have made in a long time! !! My belly says, thank you! !!!"
"What can u use instead of stewed tomatoes?"