- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 jar (24 ounces) fire-roasted tomato and garlic pasta sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 loaf (4 ounces) French bread demi-baguette, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, crumbling meat, until no longer pink, 3-4 minutes; drain. Stir in pasta sauce and tomatoes. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Dollop ricotta cheese on top of meat mixture. Gently break an egg into a small bowl; slip egg onto ricotta. Repeat with remaining eggs. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks have begun to thicken but are not hard. Remove from oven; sprinkle with basil.
- Meanwhile, spread bread slices with butter; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Preheat broiler. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve immediately with baked eggs. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forItalian Baked Eggs & Sausage
"This looked so good that even tho there is just me, I wanted to try it out. I reduced it down to just 1/4 of the recipe, and it was perfect... I used a six inch wide, 2 inch deep compote dish, and reduced the baking time down to 25 minutes."