For me, the combination of sweet and savory along with easy preparation make this Italian-inspired strata a winning dish for home cooks everywhere! It can be served for breakfast, brunch, or as a late afternoon meal.—Naylet LaRochelle, Miami, Florida
Featured In: 13x9 Brunch Recipes
- 1/3 pound pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/3 cups finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups cubed multigrain bread
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, optional
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- In large skillet, cook pancetta until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to drippings; heat over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Transfer onion to a large bowl.
- Heat remaining butter in pan. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach; cook 30-45 seconds or until wilted.
- Add bread cubes, mushroom mixture, pancetta and, if desired, almonds to onion; toss to combine. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, cream, salt and pepper until blended. Beat in mascarpone cheese just until blended; pour over bread. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Asiago cheese; spoon preserves over top. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with basil. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Italian Apricot-Pancetta Strata in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2014, p27
Reviews for Italian Apricot-Pancetta Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 17, 2017
"OMG so good. I've been looking for this recipe for a while now. Thank you for sharing."